Saturday, July 18, 2009

"I'm rockin the stupa, just like Quiet Riot did."


"I'm rocking the stupa, except they were talented." A big shout out to one of Nashville's own Ben Folds...man, I miss Lightning 100. I actually watched a band shoot a music video on the Boudha stupa today. It was another haunting spectacle of west meets east. On a different note I also witnessed a 5'0'' Nepali guy half-bike a ball from 20m out along the sideline w/ 2 defenders on him. The shot just carried the outstretched hands of the goalie before diving under the crossbar...simply stunning. I'm getting ready to head into retreat for 2 weeks so this will be my last post until August. I plan on hand writing the rest of the practices of the bodhisattvas so look for a deluge of posts when I get back. As I've been sick for a couple of days, and this being my last post, be prepared for a mailbag-like ride.


First and foremost, Happy Birthday to Kelley and Dad! I miss you both immensely and I can't wait to celebrate with you all when I get back. If you look closely at the picture it looks like I have a big party hat on w/all kinds of streamers. The two ladies in the picture were good sports too, as they were guests on the rooftop cafe :)

What has happened to golf since I left? The US Open I wrote off as a fluke, but the British Open is turning into a googlefest as well. I half expect to see Roy McAvoy's name on the leaderboard!


A big shout out to all the delegates and Bishops at the Episcopal Church's General Convention. Following the action has been tough, but I look forward to hearing all about it when I get back.


Good luck to Dan and Russ on the century ride from Casa de Lewis to Chateau Wilson. My butt hurts just thinking about it.


I finished the classroom part of my stay on Friday. A huge thank you to our instructors Lopon Lodro Rabsel and Khenpo Jampa Dhonden. An appreciative nod to our translator James Gentry too. It was a wonderful experience learning from you all, and something I'll not soon forget. Our test is next week so I'll reserve any further comments until after experiencing that piece of Tibetan pedagogy :)


So now I turn to the part of this trip that I find most exhilarating and frightening. 2 weeks in a relatively secluded retreat meditating and reflecting. Lama Gerry has prepared us well over the last month. I feel like I can sit for an hour at a time if need be, but I am still a bit worried about how my legs will take four such sessions a day.


I am also looking forward to a lot of reading time. It is my goal to finish the Brother's Karamazov, The Clash of Civilizations and at least one other book. Additionally, I am looking forward to memorizing a few more prayers and possibly a few poems. The Prayer of St Francis has been a real boon to my memory, and there are a few Keats verses that I have my eye on. Wish me luck!


However, the major focus of this part of the trip is stripping away distractions, and getting in touch with deeper forms of existence. I find that the Buddhist traditions have done a better job of developing introspection and meditation than my own particular Christian background. I believe this inward science can be a real benefit to any tradition, and so it is with a hopeful heart that I embark on this retreat. Perhaps by the end of this fortnight I might have a little better understanding of the mystical aspects of my own faith. If this idea of Christian introspection piques your interest, may I recommend that over the next couple of weeks you peruse works of one of the following authors; St John the Cross, St Ignatius of Loyola, Teresa of Avila or Julian of Norwich.


All right folks, I'm off for possibly one more bout with chili momos. Have a great 2 weeks and I look forward to catching up with you all when I get back.


Compassion and Wisdom - Truth and Love,


Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment